Thursday, September 02, 2004
Long Wednesday

I cannot tell you how painfully tired I was for most of yesterday. My five hours of sweet oblivion translated into three hours of unsettled sleep (after getting only four hours the night before), so I was really feeling it when I dragged myself out of bed. In spite of the fact that I was probably a danger to myself and others behind the wheel, I ventured forth to Midtown for the day's shoot.

When we got to Theaterworks (which was serving as a studio for the day), we discovered that Lee was in a foul mood. He was silent and sullen, speaking to nobody except to express the most perfunctory thoughts and commands. We spent a couple of hours theorizing among ourselves what the problem was; it was a dangerous day for Lee to be stroppy, if that's the way things were going. We had a potentially-volatile mix on the set, and if Lee said the wrong thing at the wrong time, walkouts were a distinct possibility (and I am included in that number.) Cathy, who has been helping out from time to time, was brave enough to enquire quietly what the issue was; she got enough out of him to judge that it wasn't anything to do specifically with any of us, which was good enough. Still, it made for an uncomfortable morning.

Once DeVere and the other actor got there, we set to work. Given how tired I was, the conditions were almost cruel -- a dark set, the same dialogue over and over and over again; I was genuinely struggling to stay alert. But we got through the shots with minimal irritation (which was a blessing, considering), and just around 1 PM we finished DeVere's final shots in the film. DeVere hugged me so hard I got a bit light-headed; Scott, the main supporting actor, had done the same thing a few days before. It's a bit sad that leaving this film is considered cause for celebration, but I can't deny that I was envious of those who have been released from their obligations.

After DeVere left, we found we had an enormous gap between the departure of one necessary actor and the arrival of the next; the next shots wouldn't be taken for more than three hours. I passed the time by curling up on a sofa serving as set dressing for the play currently running, and had myself a nice nap on the stage. Three hours was enough to get me past the hump, and when I awoke I felt much better. We shot the remaining two scenes, and that was it for the day. Derrick (Co-op buddy and erstwhile boomswinger) and I went to the Co-op to kill a few hours before heading to the Hi-Tone to meet with DeVere and Diana to hear Doug's band chess club. When we got there, DeVere showed up with flowers... for me! They were intended as a thank-you for my work on the film -- it says something, I think, that I got flowers not from the director, but from the lead actor -- and I was genuinely touched. It was really great to feel finally appreciated; it was really, really sweet of DeVere, and very appreciated.

Doug came over and chatted a little before his band went on. I admit I had high expectations for the band, but I was really impressed just the same. This is one of those occasions -- they're happening more frequently lately -- when I wish I had more knowledge about music so that I could discuss it intelligently; as it is, all I can really say is that I really enjoyed their stuff. (I have a burgeoning band-crush on chess club now.) They do that really great thing where the music goes in an unexpected direction, which turns out to be exactly the right one... Doug said before they played that the band deserves a following, and he's damn right, they do. I will continue to encourage people to come to their shows, and maybe do some small part in helping that following to grow.

I'm still trying to catch up on the RNC goings-on; apparently Zell Miller spent last night channelling the old Dixiecrats. Look for more later tonight.
5:28 PM ::
Amy :: permalink