Saturday, August 15, 2009Look, They Can't All Be Great
Whenever I have something I want to write about, I never have time. And then when I have time, I can't remember what I was going to say.
So, instead, a brief summary in list form:
- I have a business idea. A pretty good one, I think, but I'm trying to figure out how the numbers would theoretically work. The short version: biographical films for rich old people. What do you think?
- I also have a film idea, but I don't know if it's actually feasible. I mean, some of it is, but by their nature the subjects won't make for much b-roll, and I'm tired of watching interviews in prisons. Also, I hate shooting in prisons (and yes, I have.) But I really, really like the idea. What to do?
- Last week I went to help out at a stop-motion animation workshop for kids with a few of the Laika animators who worked on Coraline. (Seriously, kids are fucking spoiled in this town.) Met some interesting people, and it made up for having to work with the social justice kids a couple of weeks earlier. I like working with old folks, and I like working with younger kids; not so hot on the college-aged bastards.
- I've got a story -- an actual piece of writing -- almost finished in its second draft. Fucking amazing.
- And lastly, I'm planning for a series of short (very short) interview-based films in the next few months. Really, I just wanted some willing subject who would sit still while I freely fiddled around with microphones and tweaked lights and experimented with different interview techniques -- all the stuff I'm too nervous to do when setting up with strangers -- but in order to use the equipment from the station, I have to produce something for the air. So hopefully, for the first time since I got to town, I'll have some fresh material to show by the holidays.
- I hate my other job so much it makes me want to vomit blood from my eyeballs. Seriously.